Friday, July 1, 2016

Gifts For Hosts

In the month of June I put in 20 hours on the tiny house and 20 hours into cleaning up the garage and putting in shelving in the corner closet. My stepmother has allowed me to use the garage for storage and a workshop on a permanent basis. Having an accessible workshop is nearly as important as a site for the tiny house.

There was so many garden tools strewn about I decided to make a cart for her to store them in. I was going to make it from the old filing cabinet in the closet as I had seen done on Pinterest, but Ott wanted to keep it. So I took out these old doors of my childhood mildewing in the back store room. These had been covered by my mother with trendy '70s contact paper. She loved that stuff. I took a heat gun to it and pulled it off.


The cart I built turned out better than the filing cabinet idea. I cut up the old PVC pipe lying around and used the sections as tool holders. Then I used up all the closet pole cut offs and brackets to make holders for the long handled clippers. The pegboard and hangers were the only things I had to buy. And I got more space in the storeroom.



Meanwhile I used up more lumber to make a cover for the two sinks at my current home that is used as storage for garden compost materials and finished compost. That used up wood I had stored there and replaced another cover I made from a door that lasted 5 years before delaminating into pieces. I made sure this one would last longer by topping it with a roofing panel I bought. Time to make just under 5 hours.





I also put in close to 8 hours cutting bottle brush at the site where I will be moving to and laying gravel where the storage sheds were moved to. So over 50 hours spent plus working a client load that has me busier than I remember being in a long time.



4 comments:

  1. How exciting! It sounds like the new living arrangements have given you a boost of energy. I'm interested to see how your new tiny home turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your enthusiasm Ann. Yes the support I'm getting on this project is boosting my morale. I will keep on updating my progress. So far its turning out great though never quite as expected. It's a process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying following your journey and seeing how you reuse materials for building projects. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have you along Maur. And yes reusing materials is one of my missions in life.

    ReplyDelete