Friday, June 10, 2016

Sealing The Cedar Siding

One wall of the tiny house was alarmingly faded being the wall that had faced the sun for so long. The first order of business would be to seal the cedar shingles for I had no intention of letting it weather to the gray that Phil had described. So I called Tim and hired him to help me seal it.


There were many sealing products to choose from and I believed that an oil based sealer was my best bet. In the end I chose the brand that Tim and I were most familiar with. I had more trouble deciding how to apply it. Could it be sprayed or rolled on? Or would I have to brush it on arduously shingle by shingle. We tried spraying first with my father's compressor, but there was too much wind. Rolling it on with a paint roller was ridiculously inadequate.

So brushes it would be. And if you have to brush your entire house with a four inch brush it is good that it is a tiny house. Plus you can move it to get at the side against the fence. And it only takes a gallon. It took us nearly 10 hours. My stepmother supported our endeavor by feeding us lunch. This made me enormously grateful that Thai people consider food to be the glue of any social activity.

It looked great when we were finished. The original honey color that had won me over would now be preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment