Tuesday, January 10, 2023

The Dtao of Poop Update

Of all the aspects of my tiny house living that people are most curious about, longterm, is my composting toilet. Yes, I am still using the Bokashi fermenting system to process my poop. It works great. I really only have to process it every six weeks or so. I have devised a routine and have set up a poop processing station here at my current location.

The usual practice is to bury the contents in a trench in the ground. Curiously one of the effects of this burial is that for a month or so nothing grows where it was buried. Thus it is an effective weed killer. I think the acidity of the fermentation is what does it. Nowadays I seldom dig a trench because I’ve run out of places where I can dig as I have more of my garden laid out. Also in the summer months the ground is so dried out, it is too hard to dig into the ground. So I get help from the gophers. Every week I collect the soil from their mounds in a bucket and take it to my composting station to use as a cover. 


For processing the poop I use an old plastic tub, the kind with rope handles. I made a few holes in the bottom and put it under an oak tree where any liquid can drain into the ground and into the leaf litter. In fact the contents of the bucket is mostly liquid so I pour off the liquid first into a large planting pot which allows the liquid to flow though the drainage holes in several different directions at once. What is left in the bottom is a sludge I put into the tub. But first I cover the bottom of the tub with a layer of the gopher soil to give the sludge something to work with. As I pour I stop to add more soil until the sludge is totally mixed with soil and is no longer visible to the eye. 


All that is left to do is to rinse out the bucket. I also have a dedicated brush to scrub the inside a bit so I have a nice clean bucket to take back into the house. I put two gallons of rainwater from my rain catchment system into the bucket and I’m back in business. 


I leave the poop in the processing tub alone for a couple of weeks at least. The resulting soil is very nutritious for plants. You cannot detect any poop in it all. I use it to refresh the soil in my planter boxes between seasons or spread it over the hillside on top of the grass during the late summer when all the grass is dead and cut down. In terms of soil restoration I am doing what a herd of cows would be doing as they graze a pasture. 


I also add urine to the soil on a regular basis. The urine tank needs to be emptied every two or three days. I empty the tank into a three gallon bucket inside the house. Then I pour some into a watering can and dilute it with three or four times the water. In the summer months this is how I water my plants. I don’t use any urine water where I’ve planted radishes as it keeps the radishes from forming a bulb. I learned this from another off-grid homesteader. The rest of the garden does great with this ongoing drink of nutrients. 


For the winter months during heavy rains I have dug a trench alongside my garden beds. I filled the trench with manure from the pile across the street where my neighbor, who keeps a horse, has helpfully created such a pile to offer to gardeners. This trench is where I pour undiluted urine and diswhashing water when it rains or I have excess water. Storing water in the soil is what we want to do to contribute to the rain cycle and soil restoration. 


I also ferment urine for it has many uses as a cleaner when it becomes ammonia. This ammonia works for cleaning the shower pan in my tiny house. I have also used it to soak my clothes when doing laundry. It helps to lift the ring around the collar when I go to scrub it with Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap. I have even washed out a paintbrush with urine and liquid soap. A paintbrush I use with wood preservative. To find out more about my discoveries with urine and it’s many uses for healing and personal care, check out my book The Girls' Guide To Off Grid Living


No comments:

Post a Comment